The video game industry is an exciting, ever-changing industry, with new trends constantly emerging. The most recent example of this is the mobile gaming market, which is growing at a fast pace. This is in large part due to the arrival of new platforms, such as smartphones and tablets, that are capable of supporting high-quality games that are popular with consumers.
The video games industry has rapidly evolved over the last few years. It has become harder and harder for companies to make money. However, by 2020 we will see new trends and innovations that will make it easier to make money as a market developer.
When we think of the video games industry, we think of blockbuster AAA titles. Read more about video game industry statistics 2021 and let us know what you think.
As a die-hard player, I was always interested in learning fascinating statistics and figures regarding the gaming business. That’s why I spent so much time gathering and collecting the most essential data and information about video games. If you enjoy what I’ve done, please consider sharing it!
“The video games industry has rapidly evolved over the last few years. It has become harder and harder for companies to make money.”
But, before we get into the long list, here are the top video game statistics for 2021:
- Crossfire is the most popular video game in the world as of February 2021. (wiki)
- The PlayStation 2 is the best-selling system of all time. In reality, Sony has sold over 158 million copies of this system as of 2021. (statista)
- Crysis (Remastered) is the most graphically demanding game, and even the most advanced RTX 3000 series GPUs struggle to display it at its maximum settings. (linustechtips)
- PewDiePie has 107 million followers as of October 2021, making him the most subscribed gaming YouTuber (YouTube)
- With over 17.03 million active users, Steam is the most popular computer video game shop. (steam)
Globally, the number of people who play video games is increasing.
At the moment, there are about 2.69 billion active gamers on the planet. It’s impossible to estimate the entire number of individuals who have played video games. However, based on several polls, it was able to determine the overall number of active gamers across the world. Here are some figures from recent years on the overall number of gamers:
- In 2016, 2.5 billion people worldwide played video games. (The Mobile Game Market in Europe)
- In the United States, 75% of households have at least one video gamer. (WePC)
- 72 percent of male gamers are between the ages of 18 and 29. The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) is a non-profit organization that promotes the use of software in the entertainment industry.
- In the United States, 60% of individuals play video games for fun on a regular basis. (GamingScan)
Revenues from the Gaming Industry
The gaming industry is one of the world’s most important commercial sectors. However, they are most popular in the United States. Here are some incredible figures to help you understand how much the game business is worth:
- The gaming industry generated $151.9 billion in revenue in 2019. (review42)
- Only software sales accounted for 88 percent of the gaming industry’s overall income. (WePC)
- The gaming industry’s revenue may reach $90 billion by the end of 2021.
- Only video game sales generated $43.4 billion in income for the industry in 2018. (Statista)
Gender Statistics and Ratio of Male & Female Gamers
The gender split between male and female gamers is always shifting. You’ll be surprised to learn that the average male-to-female gaming ratio is 3:2. Here are some statistics on the male-to-female gaming ratio:
Statistics on Video Game Stores
Every day, new games are launched. However, after analyzing the number of games released on the most prominent platforms, we discovered that about 1181019 games were released till 2019. The following is a list of the amount of games available on various platforms:
- Steam has approximately 33554 titles, making it the largest library of PC games.
- On Google Play, there are 327491 android games.
- In the App Store, there are 811911 iOS games.
- There are 1893 games on the PS4.
- The Xbox One has a gaming library of 1760 titles.
- On GoG, there are 3125 games (Source: gamingshift)
Industry Statistics for Mobile Video Games
The most popular gaming platform on the planet is mobile. Every day, we see a slew of new games arrive in our app shops. Here are a few interesting facts regarding this massive gaming platform:
- Mobile gaming platforms generated $68.5 billion in revenue in 2019.
- Mobile gaming platforms account for 45 percent of the total income generated by the gaming industry.
- At the moment, females account for half of all mobile gamers.
- Online mobile games have been around since 2017 and are growing in popularity. (Image courtesy of visualcapitalist)
Statistics on Video Game Publishers
Gaming industry, like all other business sectors, have ups and downs. And the statistics for these sectors are erratic. So, here are 2017’s highest-earning game publishers:
- Tencent Games has a market capitalization of $18.2 billion.
- Sony Interactive Entertainment has a market capitalization of $10.5 billion dollars.
- Apple has a market capitalization of $8.0 billion.
- Microsoft has a market capitalization of $7.1 billion.
- $6.5 billion – Activision Blizzard
- NetEase has a market capitalization of $5.6 billion.
- Google is worth $5.3 billion.
- EA has a market capitalization of $5.1 billion.
- Nintendo has a market capitalization of $3.6 billion.
- Bandai Namco has a market capitalization of $2.4 billion (Source: wikipedia)
Statistics about the Video Game Genre
Everyone has diverse tastes, and this is no different when it comes to gaming. Since the beginning, we’ve seen that no other genre can compete with the most popular Action Games.
“The gender split between male and female gamers is always shifting. You’ll be surprised to learn that the average male-to-female gaming ratio is 3:2.”
And, certainly, of all game genres, action games are the most popular. Here’s a graph showing the most popular game genre based on the number of players:
Statistics on the Most Played Games
The number of participants in a game fluctuates, but the most popular games remain at the top for extended periods of time. Here are the most popular games so far:
- League of Legends is a video game developed by Riot Games (by Riot Games)
- Rainbow Six: Siege is a Tom Clancy game (by Ubisoft)
- Valuable (by Riot Games)
- Minecraft is a game where you can build (by Mojang)
- Hyper Scape (Hyper Scape) is a (by Ubisoft)
- Guys, it’s time to fall (by Devolver Digital)
- Grand Theft Auto V is a video game developed by Rockstar Games (by Rockstar Games)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is a first-person shooter developed by Activision (by Activision)
- Apex Legends is a video game developed by Respawn Entertainment (by Electronic Arts)
- Overwatch is a game where you keep an eye (by Blizzard Entertainment)
- Hearthstone is a game that takes place on a (by Blizzard Entertainment)
- BATTLEGROUNDS OF PLAYERUNKNOWN (by PUBG Corporation)
- Fortnite is a video game developed by Epic Games (by Epic Games)
- Dota 2 is a game developed by Valve Corporation (by Valve Corporation)
- ROBLOX (Roblox Corporation) is a video game developed by Roblox Corporation (Source: newzoo)
Statistics about video game consoles
Until 2021, the Playstation 2 is the most popular gaming console in the planet. However, many consoles have come to date, and we should first concentrate on them since this will give us a fair sense of who is the top industry in gaming console sales. So, from 2006 through 2021, these are the best-selling gaming consoles:
- 112.1 million PlayStation 4 consoles have been sold.
- The Nintendo Wii has sold 101.63 million copies worldwide.
- The Nintendo 3DS family has sold 75.77 million units.
- Nintendo Switch has sold 62 million copies.
- 50 million Xbox One consoles have been sold. (Image credit: Wikipedia)
Here’s a chart of the most popular gaming consoles:
Game Streaming Statistics on Twitch
Twitch is the most popular game broadcasting platform. It’s also a huge thing to be the most popular streaming game on Twitch. Based on the number of streams, the following game statistics have been compiled. Here are the most popular Twitch games in 2021:
Fortnite is a video game developed by Epic Games (3,140,505 Streamers) League of Legends is a video game developed by Riot Games (903,868 Streamers) Apex Legends is a video game developed by Respawn Entertainment (1,360,598 Streamers) World of Warcraft is a massively multiplayer online game (318,030 Streamers) We’re just chatting (793,331 Streamers) Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is a video game developed by Valve Corporation (772,307 Streamers) BATTLEGROUNDS OF PLAYERUNKNOWN (458,157 Streamers) Overwatch is a game where you keep an eye (543,819 Streamers) Rainbow Six: Siege is a Tom Clancy game (706,455 Streamers) Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 is the fourth installment in the Call of Duty franchise (494,062 Streamers) (Image courtesy of sullygnome)
I hope you liked this collection of statistics. Did I leave anything out? Please let me know in the comments. I’ll attempt to keep this website updated on a regular basis.
Get a Better Understanding of Gaming and Gears
– Armoury container is broken
– download asus rog armoury crate
– Student discount on Netflix
– Roblox is a game where you may play with your friends.
– individuals on discord can’t be heard
– Admin command in Roblox
– the finest gaming headphones for those who wear glasses
– the most suitable aura sync fans
– the finest racing games on the PlayStation 5
– top rpg games for PS5
– top horror games for PS5
– the top PS5 games for children
– the finest PlayStation 5 adventure games
– the best motherboard for an i9 10900k processor
– the greatest ram for an i9 10900k processor
– the best cpu cooler for an i7 10700k processor
– the best motherboard for an i7 10700k processor
– the best graphics card for an i7 10700k processor
– the best graphics card for an i9 10900k processor
– the greatest ram for a Ryzen 7 3700x processor
– The best motherboard for the Ryzen 7 3700x processor
– the greatest ram for a Ryzen 5 5600x processor
– top ryzen 5 5600x CPU cooler
– top ryzen 7 5800x CPU cooling
– the greatest ram for a Ryzen 7 5800x processor
– best ryzen 9 5900x CPU cooler
– the greatest ram for a Ryzen 9 5900x processor
– the greatest ram for a Ryzen 9 5950x processor
Video games are one of the most popular pastimes in the world. The industry is an ever-growing industry, with all sorts of gaming products being sold. With so many games being sold, it’s hard to keep track of the immense popularity of video games. That’s why we have decided to compile 79+ Video Games Industry Statistics, Trends and Facts  for you!. Read more about supply and demand of video game industry and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
How big is the video game industry 2021?
The video game industry is expected to reach $108 billion in 2021.
What are the current trends in the gaming industry?
The current trends in the gaming industry are that many games are becoming more and more realistic, while others are becoming less so.
How much is the gaming industry worth 2021?
The gaming industry is worth $138.6 billion in 2021.